Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Ham Loaf

While I was having a cup of coffee at the Corbet Street's Central Perk yesterday someone asked me. "When is your church having that ham loaf dinner?" As I started to give the answer (Saturday, April 9 from 4 to 6) I noticed that every ear in the place was hanging on my every word. In the newest place in Tarentum where one can go to drink coffees with exotic flavors, lattes, chai teas and the like, both customers and staff had a longing for ham loaf.

"It's been so long since I've had ham loaf," said a young woman. Others started to reminisce about the times when they discovered ham loaf being offered in small towns through which they were once travelling. In a fast-paced world, in the company of people who would like to keep up with the trends, there is still a hunger for a meal that bring back memories of childhood.

As a transplant to Western Pennsylvania, I need to admit that three years ago I did not even know what a ham loaf was. The folks at Central took a picture of me taking my first bite of ham loaf back in 2003, and I was able to state with all honesty that it was the best ham loaf I had ever eaten. I am still not a connoisseur of ham loaf. The only ham loaf I have tasted has been the kind made with the secret recipe at Central Presbyterian Church. Although I lack any childhood memories of this simple dish, I suspect that the day will come when even I will ask myself how long it has been since I had some ham loaf.

File under: , , , , and

No comments: