Thursday, October 12, 2006

Pittsburgh Presbytery at Hamilton: A. Welcome

Hamilton Presbyterian Church, PittsburghPittsburgh Presbytery met at the Hamilton Presbyterian Church on October 12. There were 137 minister and 133 elders representing a total of 81 churches. There were also 23 visitors present.

I was one of the many who would "have to cross a river or two" as Pastor Jim Mead reminded us all in his cover letter for the Presbytery papers. My journey took me only about 45 minutes to travel just under 30 miles in excellent traffic. The directions provided by the host church were great.

Welcoming sign at the Hamilton Presbyterian ChurchWhen I met new people during the meeting and they asked me where I came from, I got a lot of blank stares when I named Tarentum.

Nevertheless, we all received a warm welcome upon arrival at the church. Volunteers were out guiding us to appropriate places to park, and welcoming and directing us as we came into the building.

This meeting would be the one when we would receive communion and also remember the ministers and elders who had died in the past year. At the very beginning of the meeting Moderator Carol Divens Roth announced the death Tuesday of elder Marianne Wolfe, who had been the Stated Clerk of Pittsburgh Presbytery from 1977 to 1993. During her lifetime she had written books and resources and had provided training for a generation of clerks of session and stated clerks of governing bodies. It had been my privilege a number of years ago to take a class in parliamentary procedure from her. Her memorial service will be Saturday in the community building at Sherman Oaks in Cranberry.

File under : , , ,


My other articles about this meeting: A. Welcome B. Worship with Ben Freudenburg C: Ordination overture D. Vocational matters E. Reflective listening about property F. Awards and honors

No comments: