Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Graduation

Today I graduated from the Cardiac Rehabilitation program at Alle-Kiski Medical Center, having completed my 36 sessions.

There was not a formal ceremony. Nobody played Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance" but they did give me a Certificate of Completion.

my certificate of completion

They also gave me my own copy of the RPE Scale, suitable for framing.

RPE scale

I feel that I have accomplished a lot over twelve weeks. I see a big improvement in my stamina, especially in my ability to handle the stairs at the church. The program has taught me how to exercise, and perhaps more importantly has helped me get into a routine for exercise three times a week. The lectures have also given me a good overview of issues I need to keep in my awareness as I continue to take care of my heart.

The Cardiac Rehabilitation Team let me take their group picture, even though Breanne was quite uncharacteristically wearing sweatpants.

photograph of Cardiac Rehabilitation team at the Alle-Kiski Medical Center: Marian, Lhea, and Breanne

So, to what have I graduated? I need to continue exercising, and I will continue to use the same exercise equipment in their maintenance program where I will not use a heart monitor or have my vital signs checked as frequently.

Over the last week I have been watching my rehab class change, as people who started before me have finished up, and new people have joined the class. As I have watched the new people arrive, I have been remembering how I felt when I first started, and only used a few pieces of equipment for short times and at low levels. All in all, I am somewhat amazed at where this class has taken me.

Technorati : , ,

No comments: