Monday, May 01, 2006

Portrait of the reserved pastor as a medieval warrior

During the past week I have been on vacation with my parents, my sisters and their families. Part of the vacation included going out to a dinner entertainment called Medieval Times.

crown.JPGWhen I arrived they gave me a crown to wear, addressed me as "M'Lord" and asked me to pose for a photo. So I went along with the program, wondering what possible use they might make of a photo of me in a hokey cardboard crown. Little did I know what they were going to do through the magic of editing a digital image.

The entertainment during dinner was a drama in an arena, acting out a medieval tournament to resolve a conflict in an 11th century kingdom. Without giving away too many spoilers for the story, it was one about chivalry, valor, betrayal, and the victory of good over evil. Our party and others in our section were supposed to cheer for the Black and White Knight, a serious, unsmiling fellow, competent as a knight, said to have been a priest. One of the six knights who had a cheering section was the secret love of the princess. The Green Knight was scripted to be unliked as a foreign mercenary and barbarian, but he performed throughout the tournament with charming energy and style.

I found it hard to follow the dialogue, but the story was simple enough. The horseriding was impressive and the swordplay was dramatic. The dinner was good basic food - chicken and ribs and half a potato - all served without silverware that had not been invented in the 11th century.

At the risk of inviting comments about my "dark side", and without further ado, here is the portrait promised in the title of this blog entry:
portrait of the reserved pastor as a medieval warrior

File under : ,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to publicaly apologize to you on your blog page about the comment of "you having a dark side". I was wrong and it was not for me to judge you. I have already asked God for forgiveness of my rudeness. It is as the old story goes "never believe what you hear and only have believe what you see", something along them lines....

Stewart said...

Thank you for the apology. As you have probably noticed on the blog, the comment was more a source of amusement than hurt or offense for those who know me well and are already quite aware of my failings.

As far as the east is from the west, so far has God removed our transgressions from us. (Ps. 103:12)

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Your welcome for the apology....

Stewart said...

I hope you understand that any continuing jokes on this blog about my "dark side" are not at your expense. I invite participants in this blog to laugh with me at my shadow.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, we all have a dark side in one way, or another. I have a pretty good idea that you really know who I am anyway, and if I can ever bring myself to personally apologize that would be great. I should of never fell victim to the gossip, but gossip is a treacherous thing and we all get caught up in it from time to time....

Stewart said...

I agree that we all have a dark side. Its not necessarily a secret life of activities trying to undermine decency and western civilization, but it still can be dangerous for one to be unaware of one's own dark side.

I do have a pretty good idea who you are, so don't worry about the personal apology. You already apologized publicly in the same public way the original comments were made. Someday when we have sunny weather again and I don't have an evening meeting we can have a laugh together over the whole thing.