Sunday, May 28, 2006

A surprise in the parking lot

This afternoon I returned to the church after lunch in order to be downtown for the Memorial Day Parade. As I was parking my car, I saw a car with out-of-state plates passing slowly through the parking lot.

After I left my car the driver approached me and asked if I was going into the church. I started to explain that I had not been planning to go in, but he should feel free to park there if he was in town for the parade. He told me that he used to serve the church. In my mind I started to form a list of former pastors whom I had not met and who might be still living. The list was going to be very short in any case. He quickly introduced himself to me as Dave Kilpatrick. He had been the interim pastor in the 90's.

He introduced me to his fiancee and asked if I could let them in to see the building. People with any connection to Central Presbyterian Church have long memories, and it was a privilege to be able to let him show the special person in his life a place where he had had a significant ministry.
Dave Kilpatrick and Gail

File under : ,

No comments: