Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Springdale native wins Newbery Award

Criss Cross For the second time in as many months I have been disappointed to discover that the new Borders Books and Music in the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills has not had in stock a noteworthy book by a local author, when the Chapters Books and Music in Lower Burrell has had the book available.

Today I was off on a quest for a copy of Criss Cross, because I read that Springdale native Lynne Rae Perkins had just won the John Newbery Medal for most outstanding contribution to children's literature (article in the Valley News Dispatch here; article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette here).

Somehow I expected that the larger bookstore would have the capability for keeping noteworthy books in stock. My drive to the mall taught me an important lesson. The book was not on the shelves. The associate at the information desk had heard of the book, but informed me it was not in stock.

Chapters in Lower Burrell came through for me.

My previous quest had been for copies of Giovanna's 86 Circles and Other Stories by Paola Corso (a Tarentum native). Unavailable at Borders, sufficient copies for the gifts I wanted to give were on the shelf at Chapters.

Next time there is a specific book I want, I will call first — to Chapters.

File under : , , ,

No comments: