Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Mystery - joke or plea?

Graffiti saying "Help me"About three years ago I found this eerie graffiti in a utility stairwell at the Central Presbyterian Church.

This fall I came across another example of similar local graffiti in this photo of Dreshar Stadium which is among the photos by George T. Mendel appearing in Death by Renaissance by Paola Corso (my review here).

I wish I knew what motivated this inscription. It nags at me when I pass it. It purports to be a cry for help, yet the anonymity prevents effective action to help whoever wrote it.

Did the person who wrote it eventually solve his/her problem? Is the writer still trapped in a situation from which s/he needs to escape? Was the writer just playing a mind-game on readers who would come across this message in obscure places?

This inquiring mind wants to know.

File under : , , ,

No comments: